The Minneapolis City Council voted unanimously last month to disband the police department, and Minneapolis Police Department offered resident tips that just may ensure the success of such a radical proposal.
In effect, police are encouraging residents to surrender to criminals as part of their “robbery prevention tips” — turn over your valuables and no matter what, don’t resist.
Minneapolis City Government tells residents to be ready to give up their phones and wallets and to always cooperate with criminals: pic.twitter.com/qQhw4YLRSY
The advice comes after a 99-year-old woman fought off an intruder at her home in South Minneapolis, according to ABC 5.
“Be prepared to give up your cell phone and purse/wallet,” one tip read.
Another tip read: “Do not argue or fight with the criminal. Do as they say. Your safety is most important!”
Here are all the robbery prevention tips offered, according to KSTP:
• Do not walk alone
• Be hyper-aware of your surroundings at all times – pay attention!
• Carry only items you need, and carry less cash
• Be prepared to give up your cell phone and purse/wallet
• Have keys already in your hand as you approach your car
• Despite all our efforts, robberies may still occur! Do not argue or fight with the criminal. Do as they say. Your safety is most important!
• Be a good witness. When you call 911, be prepared to answer many questions. (How many suspects? Age, height, complexion, hair and eye color? Scars or tattoos? Weapon- what did it look like? What direction did they leave in? Vehicle description?)
In the aftermath of the Black Lives Matter riots following the death of local resident George Floyd, police have been under siege all across America.
And crime is surging.
Minneapolis Police Department warned of an increase in crime, saying officers have responded to 100 robberies and 20 carjackings in the 3rd precinct last month, the ABC affiliate reported — this being where Floyd died.
With the increase in carjackings, there was also advice on how to be the “perfect victim,” as characterized in the tweet below:
They should add, “Purchase a handgun, learn to use it, and carry it loaded with hollow points every day.” “Because any police left can’t or won’t help you. And your neighborhood is a dangerous nest of thugs.”