America is developing a vaccine faster than ever in the history of any virus. Thanks to the Trump Admin's "Operation Warp Speed," Phase 3 trials begin today.
Learn more about it and opportunities for healthy adults to volunteer here: https://t.co/tj1sUzv6lz
— Kevin McCarthy (@GOPLeader) July 27, 2020
CNBC: The Department of Health and Human Services awarded the contract to the Fujifilm Texas A&M Innovation Center in College Station, Texas, Trump said. He made the announcement at the Bioprocess Innovation Center at Fujifilm Diosynth Biotechnologies in Morrisville, North Carolina, where the company is manufacturing “bulk drug substance” for a coronavirus vaccine by Novavax, which was awarded $1.6 billion by the federal government to help develop the vaccine.
“These same manufacturing processes are being conducted on an even larger scale in College Station, Texas,” Trump said. “Today, I’m proud to announce that HHS has just signed a $265 million contract with the Fujifilm Texas A&M Innovation Center, which is quite the place, to dramatically expand their vaccine manufacturing capacity.”
The site will support Operation Warp Speed, the Trump Administration’s effort to accelerate the development, manufacturing and distribution of vaccines and treatments to fight the coronavirus that causes Covid-19. The task order from HHS reserves manufacturing capacity in the facility through the end of 2021, the company said in a release.
“Our leading scientists and engineers in College Station are honored to support COVID-19 vaccine manufacturing with the goal of delivering a safe and effective vaccine to the U.S. population,” Dr. Gerry Farrell, chief operating officer of FUJIFILM Diosynth Biotechnologies, Texas, said in a statement. “We will allocate the reserved capacity based on direction provided by the U.S. government, and similar to our North Carolina site, we expect a portion of the reserved capacity to be allocated to Novavax, Inc. for its NVX-CoV2373 COVID-19 vaccine candidate.”
President Trump Is Leading a Once-in-a-Generation Effort to Ensure Americans Have Access to a COVID-19 Vaccine
DEVELOPING EFFECTIVE VACCINES: President Donald J. Trump is harnessing the full power of the public and private sectors to deliver a safe and effective vaccine as soon as possible.
- The President is using all available means to ensure safe vaccines, therapeutics, and diagnostics are developed, manufactured, and distributed in unprecedented time and scale in response to COVID-19.
- Earlier this year, President Trump launched Operation Warp Speed, a groundbreaking partnership between the Federal Government, scientific community, and private sector to develop and deliver vaccines in record time.
- Operation Warp Speed’s goal is to produce and deliver 300 million doses of safe and effective vaccines with the initial doses available by January 2021.
- The Administration has made large investments in multiple vaccine candidates to provide financial infrastructure for mass manufacturing, in parallel with late-stage clinical trials.
- Operation Warp Speed is directing a colossal industrial mobilization to ensure the rapid delivery of an eventual safe vaccine.
SEEING TREMENDOUS PROGRESS: The President’s strategy for safely expediting vaccine development is already achieving incredible results.
- There has been promising early data from clinical trials and manufacturing is ramping up as candidates go through late-stage trials.
- Operation Warp Speed has invested in more than five vaccines and teamed up with multiple pharmaceutical companies to safely produce as many effective vaccines as possible.
- A number of vaccine candidates have shown promising early clinical results and are either in or starting Phase 3 clinical trials, including AstraZeneca, Moderna, and Pfizer.
- Several vaccine candidates are using the National Institutes of Health (NIH) clinical trial network to help enroll individuals into the clinical trials.
UNLEASHING AMERICAN INGENUITY: President Trump has unleashed the power of American innovation in order to fight the invisible enemy.
- The Trump Administration is using the whole of our Nation’s scientific genius to help combat COVID-19.
- The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has authorized more than 185 tests under emergency authorities, including more than 150 molecular tests and 30 antibody tests.
- The FDA launched its Coronavirus Treatment Acceleration Program to facilitate new treatments for COVID-19 patients as quickly as possible.
- A number of promising therapies for COVID-19, like Remdesivir, have been identified and are already in use.
President Trump visits North Carolina to see work on coronavirus vaccine
WXII 12 News, July 27, 2020:
President Donald Trump came to North Carolina on Monday to visit a biotech facility involved in work to create a coronavirus vaccine.
The FUJIFILM Diosynth Biotechnologies’ Innovation Center that he toured during his visit is manufacturing key components of a vaccine candidate developed by another company. It’s all part of the federal government’s efforts to get a vaccine ready next year.
Trump won North Carolina’s 15 electoral votes in 2016 by nearly 4 percentage points. The state is considered a presidential battleground this fall, too.
A scaled-down version of the Republican National Convention is still set for Charlotte next month.